The vision for Dorset
Transforming our hospitals, community services and primary care will enable us to achieve our ambition of financially and clinically sustainable health and social care designed around the patient.
We want to deliver this transformation in an innovative way to meet the needs of local people and support them to lead healthier lives for longer. As more people develop longterm conditions it is crucial that our focus is as much about promoting health and wellbeing as it is about preventing disease.
This requires the delivery of five key ambitions
What will happen if we do nothing?
Doing nothing is not an option if we want to ensure people continue to receive the generally good care that is currently provided in Dorset. If we don’t plan to do things differently it is likely that:
- Local people will have more problems getting appointments,
- We will see an increase in demand but no increase in the number of hospital beds,
- There will be an increasing number of sick patients but no more staff to care for them,
- More operations will be cancelled,
- There will be worsening health outcomes and survival rates.
These are just some examples of what might happen. That is why we started the Clinical Services Review.